Sunday 13 July 2014

Alexander Jacob's baby quilt

Just realized that I never posted my new grandson's quilt.  Alexander Jacob was born in April, but I did not have his quilt ready!!  I did finally get it finished in May and he is enjoying his quilt. 

I received  a package of FQ's from my friend in Holland for Christmas.  She ordered them from the States and had them sent to me here in Canada.  The bundle had FQ's featuring "Corduroy", the little bear that Don Freeman features in his children's books.  I have always loved those books and read them to my kids and now to my grandkids :-).  Since the prints were large and small and some were difficult to cut up, I played around with a layout using yellow and blue Kona solids and a piano key border with the leftovers and a scrappy binding with the leftovers of the leftovers.  I usually handquilt the first quilt for my grandkids, but wanted to get it finished and did some fun 'modernish' machine quilting on this one.

The finished quilt

the layout of the blocks and border

zig zag quilting in the blue square

border quilting

straight line quilting in the sashings

using leftover backing from my very first grandson's quilt 12 years ago :-)

2 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Love in every stitch! <3

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Very cute. I love the Corduroy books.