Tuesday 15 March 2011

Shattered Angles class that wasn't :-(

I was supposed to go to our guild's workshop on Friday, called Shattered Angles, taught by Susan Purney Mark. She spoke at our guild meeting on Thursday evening and I was really looking forward to taking that workshop. I was all packed up and ready to go. However, when I woke up on Friday morning, there was a major snowstorm and I could not get to London for the class :-(. Fortunately, I had purchased the book on Thursday evening and Susan had this sample at the trunk show (it is called Shattered Garden):

Since I had everything packed up to take the class, I set up in my sewing room and figured I'd see if I could figure it out. I studied the photograph of the sample on the webpage and had the basic cutting instructions. I used the new to me FW that my hubby fixed up just for me!

I chose colourful strips 1 1/2", 2 1/2" and 3 1/2" as per instructions from my drawers under my sewing table. I cut and sort my leftover fabrics as Bonnie Hunter of www.quiltville.com has on her website and just had to pick out colours that would fit my plan. I didn't have to buy any fabrics so it was a great stash buster.

I sewed the strips together with varying widths totally 6 1/2". They are then cut on a 45 degree angle in various widths and black strips sewn between.

Here are the 42 blocks that I have finished so far. I'm still debating if I want to make it bigger, or add a black border and then a piano key border with the leftover strips. It was a really fun project and I love the stained glass effect. I still have to rearrange the blocks to balance them properly.

6 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Glad to see you made the most of your snowed in day! I like your blocks!

Lynda said...

OH, that's pretty Jacqui! And the little featherweight obviously is working so well:) Nice! I did a nice bit of sewing on Friday as well. It was a nasty day out there!

Teresa said...

That is so pretty. I had to re-read the sentence about taking fabric out of your drawers though. LOL. See you at the next guild mtg, hopefully. In the meantime, keep quilting and keep blogging!
BTW, I joined the FW club too. She's a beauty.

Susan Purney Mark said...

Thanks so much for the posting, you ahve done a great job. Please post again when the borders are on, I'd love to see it all put together!

pwl said...

VERY pretty!

Sandra said...

This is so pretty! The scrappy pattern is so colorful and interesting. Can't wait to see this one finished:)