Tuesday 27 April 2010

Bethany and Mark's quilt - Pat Sloan workshop

Earlier this year I participated in an online workshop with Pat Sloan on the internet. We had to choose fabrics from our stash that we wanted to use up; basically 2 1/2" strips and 10" squares. We posted pictures on a flicker site and everyone helped with suggestions on what would work for the project. Pat gave suggestions for colours as we did not know which block we were going to do. A few days before the start, she posted the pattern and we got organized to start sewing on the weekend. I started on Friday morning around 11:00 a.m. and by Saturday afternoon had the whole top together. I decided to use red because we were invited to a wedding in April and red was the bride's favourite colour. Since the groom has a great sense of humour, I thought I could add some fun novelty fabrics. I thought I had taken photos of the completely finished quilt, but I can't find them anywhere on my computer. I will add them later if I find them!

Here are a few photos of the various fabrics that are in the quilt (those 'octopus' looking shapes are actually funky chickens :-):

Spider webs, music notes, blackbirds, names of flowers....

I found a great Jinny Beyer black with a small gold dot for the border and binding. Other than that, everything else was out of my stash:

All the blocks ready to sew together into a star:

I quilted it on my Bernina 830 using an all over meandering pattern. The backing fabric is a really cool tree stump fabric that I found in a clearance bin:

Here you can see the awesome variegated YLI thread that had all the colours in it, including a purple, which is in the basket and hearts fabric:

Hopefully, I'll find the pictures of the completed quilt and post them later.

3 comments:

Miri said...

Great quilt! Lucky couple!

Jan said...

This turned out beautifully!

MVD said...

I saw it at Bethanys yesterday! Beautiful!