Wednesday 20 September 2017

Jelly Roll Race experiment

I've made a couple of jelly roll race quilts in the past, but they just didn't make a large enough quilt top for my liking. They turn out very long and narrow. I have been saving 2 1/2" strips for years in a drawer and sorted them out last week and found 71 batik strips (some were half strips, cut from FQ's, but I matched them up to make a full sized strip).  I sewed them together and the finished size comes to 64" x 92" which would work for a twin sized bed.  Or I could cut it in half and have two quilts 46" x 64" which would make a good size for a lap quilt. It would be interesting to try it with two jelly rolls and see what size it turns out then :-).

Finished top (some hanging over the railing)

I chose prints with medium to darker values and like that result

Inside photo - colours are a bit more accurate here
Additional info:  I was rooting around on the internet last night and came across this blog which has math formulas for figuring out how many strips you need to make various sizes.  This should be a helpful resource

No comments: