Saturday 7 June 2014

Mexican Stars

It's been awhile since I updated my blog.  I have been busy sewing various things, but haven't gotten around to posting them yet.  May has been a very busy month and I totally had the surprise of my life when my friend, Els, from the Netherlands shocked me with a week long visit for my birthday.  I had no idea she was coming and she showed up at my front door, delivered by our friend, Amy!! We had a fabulous week, visiting a great quilt show, shopping at Quilt shops and visiting and enjoying the nice spring weather and sewing in my sewing room!  

I recently had a guest instructor into my sewing studio to teach us the Mexican Star wallhanging.   Els happened to be here for that as well, so we raided my fabric stash and cut out the pieces needed on time for the class :-).  There were 10 ladies gathered in my sewing room plus our instructor, Pat. We had a great time learning together and seeing the results of the various colours used on an identical pattern. 

Busy ladies

We all squeezed around the cutting table

Els sewed on my vintage Bernina 830 and I used my Singer 15-88 treadle
Pat showing Els the next step

First blocks assembled

My first block.  I used Kaffe Fasset fabrics on a black background

Els got her top all sewn together late at night when we noticed one small mistake!  The curved seams are not sewn here yet

 
My finished top with all the curved pieces finished
Darlene's top before borders


Els finished her top back in Holland and added a lippy between the border
Gerrie added a narrow border with corner stones and a lippy between her last border
Pat K's top with borders added
My second top which will be a wedding gift
Alice's finished top before the curved seams
Mary Lynn's top with borders



Mary VD's top - she's quilting it already :-)
And here is Mary's finished quilt:



Alice machine quilted her Mexican star

closeup of the quilting on Alice's Mex. Star

closeup on Alice's centers


My second Mexican star which was a wedding gift for a young friend.  I quilted this one myself

close up of quilting
 
My Kaffe Fasset Mexican star was quilted by Amy Van Gurp of Tillsonburg, ON.  She did a fabulous job!!  I will add a photo of the completely finished quilt shortly.

It is amazing how different the quilts look with the different fabric choices and border options.  There were a few more ladies that are still working on their quilts.  When I get the photos I will update the post to include theirs as well. 


2 comments:

Idle hands, empty brain ... said...

They are all gorgeous!!

Jean said...

I love this pattern, I have made it before too. Great fabric choices and finishes!