Monday 5 November 2012

....and the top is finished!!

I finished putting together the top of the Bordered Diamonds quilt!  Nice to get that off the wall and done so I don't have another UFO.  I hope to quilt it soon, but that probably won't happen til after Christmas.  The grandkids will need some doll clothes and quilts for their doll beds first :-).   It was a bit of a challenge sewing these diamond blocks together, but I pinned them carefully and it worked quite well.

The instructions in the book were to cut some of the diamonds in half in the length and the width for the edge pieces and one in four for the outside corners.  I was suspicious that they wouldn't fit and waffled over it, but finally decided to cut anyway and they do fit on the sides, but I will lose the points of the diamonds along the edges.   But, the corners did not fit at all.  So, I used those cut diamonds as a template and added an inch or so on both sides and re sewed strips to them.  The corners fit properly now.  I posted a question on face book about the pattern and the lady that wrote up the instructions in the book (Liza Roos Lucy)  indicated that she did plan it that way to be a bit more frugal and have more flexibility moving the pieces around.  Since it was such a busy quilt, she didn't think the lack of points would be noticed :-).  Her motto is "perfection is the enemy of finished".  I love that!!  It reminds me of the Dear Jane quilt motto...."finished is better than perfect". 

I am very happy with this quilt and it will remind me of the wonderful time in the class with Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Mably.  Now on to working on the Indian Orange Peel quilt again...oh and making doll quilts :-).

4 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

I can't wait to see this quilt in person!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Very pretty. Glad you have it finished.

Mary said...

I agree, Finished it better than Perfect! Looks good. How will you quilt it?

Nancy-Rose said...

Very pretty!