Sunday 14 November 2010

Leah's I spy quilt

Finally doing a blog post on the I spy quilt I made for my granddaughter, Leah, who started JK this year! First she came over to my house and chose the 4 1/2" blocks from my stash that she wanted to include in her quilt.

She had to stand on a sewing machine bench to reach for the top :-)

Hmmm....what else should we include?

I think this wall is getting a little full!


After all that hard work designing, a snack is in order:


The finished quilt (the colours are a little bit washed out because of the light coming into the studio):

The colours are little better in this closeup. I quilted funky flowers on the squares and leaves in the border.

Here is Leah trying out the quilt for size:

...and posing with her finished quilt:

Lauren got her quilt out too and we took a picture of her in front of her quilt as well:

Josh wanted to get in on the action too :-). This is the quilt I made for him when he was born and he took that one to school for his JK quilt:

This is the I spy quilt I made for Josh when he turned 1 year old. He was too young really as these squares are more generic for a young child, not necessarily things he really likes. It was fun to make them when they were older as they could help pick out the ones they liked best:






6 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Very nice I Spy quilts Jacqui! It looks like everyone enjoys their special gifts from their Grandma! These quilts are such fun to make and to give!

Anonymous said...

Fun post! Leah's new quilt is being put to good use in JK!
Thank you for making her this beautiful quilt!

Ruth said...

What a good idea - to let them pick out their blocks! I have made a bunch of I Spy quilts for babys. Hopefully, they will use the quilt when they are old enough to find things in it. They are fun to make and I like your layout. I have lots of blocks ready to go for when I get time.

Sandra said...

What a beautiful gallery of I Spy quilts! I appreciate the tip you shared about letting the kids pick out their own blocks. Great idea:)

Emily Wielinga said...

Hi Mrs. VMS,
I've been reading your blog on and off for a little while, and I just a quick question.
How do you sew those flowers and leaves (and other shapes) on your quilts?!?!?![I can hardly sew a heart-shaped applique, nevermind a flower!!! ;)]
Do you do it free hand, or do you have a special setting/machine???
Thanks. -Emily W.

Jacqui's Quilts said...

Hi Emily:

I tried to reply to you directly, but you have your account set at no reply....if you'd like to email me direct, you can go to my profile page and there is a link there to click for my email...that way I can email you some info on how this is done :-).